Here are a few console commands that I’ve found useful while exploring the world of Skyrim:
- showRaceMenu – lets you alter your character’s appearance. Depending on several factors, it may alter your stats. (refer to this page for more info) Also changing your race/sex may have unintended consequences in the game.
- toggleMenus or tm - hides the interface. Keep in mind that after the interface disappears, you’re still in the console mode.
- resurrect – revives fallen NPCs. Before using this command, switch to first person perspective (zoom all the way in) and after bringing up the console, click on the NPC that you want to revive. You should see a set of 8 alphanumeric numbers enclosed in parenthesis (ie: (0009A7AB) ). If the NPC isn’t revived, it is possible you’re clicking over something else.
- prid [RefID] – selects the npc with refId. If for some reason you’re having trouble selecting the NPC, use this command first before following up with another command (ie. resurrect).
- player.moveTo [RefID] – moves your character to the NPC with refId. Useful if you can’t find a particular NPC. I was looking for an NPC and she ended in a place where she couldn’t get out because she doesn’t have the key for the doors. In the event that you find yourself in a very weird location, using player.placeAtMe could be useful.
It’s also possible to move a particular NPC to your location if you know the refId. Use prid to set the NPC id and then use the command moveTo player.
- enable – must have a selected id first (use prid if necessary). I used this for Shadowmere that disappeared but using player.moveTo placed me where Shadowmere should be if he was alive and using resurrect didn’t seem to do anything.
- player.placeAtMe [BaseID] – places an NPC near your location. Useful for missing followers (just make sure that they are really missing from their normal locations). This is different from the alphanumeric set used with the resurrect command. This command creates a new instance of the NPC so you can end up with 2 or more of the same NPC. Try to avoid using this command unless absolutely necessary.
- player.showInventory – lists the inventory items with its corresponding baseId and quantity. Press PageUp|PageDown to scrolls through the list. Useful for the next command:
- player.drop [baseId] [Quantity] – (Do NOT use this command to drop the Elder Scroll. Doing so may make it disappear permanently) This command is useful for quests where you are to retrieve a particular item but you already have it in your inventory and the next quest phase isn’t triggering properly. Some of the quests includes: Retrieving the Arcana Restored, the Staff of Charming from Onmund’s Request, and the instruments from the Bards’ College.
Please save first before using these commands. The commands are case insensitive. To bring up/exit the console command screen press the tilde (~) key, it’s usually located before the number 1 key.